The LAKE, It Does the Body {and SOUL} Good

I'm not sure that I can adequately describe the 3 1/2 hours spent by the Lake on Saturday. I had so many things I needed to accomplish during that time. I needed to grocery shop. And clean the house. And make a meal. And do laundry.

And then, I thought, "No, what I NEED most is to take time to care for my self." So that's what I did. I grabbed my running shoes and Bible and chair and blankets and couldn't get in the car fast enough.

On the way to the Lake I had the music blasting and the sun-roof open.

And this is what I saw above me.

The city was bursting with energy. EVERYONE was out and about -- walking dogs, strolling, biking, running. People were happy. People were looking up at the SUN and BLUE SKY. Just SOAKING it in. Strangers were chatty. We Chicagoans LONG FOR SPRING in the dead of winter.

I mean, we LONNNNNNNG for it. If you've never lived in a place where winter is long and ugly, you have no clue how desperately your heart LONGS for sunshine and warmth. Saturday was a GIFT. It really, really was.

{I needed Saturday like a butterfly needs a flower. How's that for sappy language?}

I drove to my favorite spot and walked for a long, LONG time.

To me, being along the lake breathes life into my very inner-most being. That's where I meet God. That's where I think. And pray. And exercise. And process. I need that in my life.

That short amount of time did more for me than anything has done in a long, long time.

After I walked, I did another favorite lakeside thing; I read.

I took out my chair, sat by the water and read the Book of Ephesians a couple of times. Love that book. Here are a few verses that touched me:

Ephesians 2:4 -- "But because of his great love for us, God, who is RICH in mercy, made us ALIVE with Christ, even when we were dead in our sins. It is by GRACE you have been saved."

Ephesians 5:1 -- "Be imitators of God ... and live a life of LOVE, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."

Ephesians 5:8 -- "Live as children of LIGHT ... and FIND OUT WHAT PLEASES THE LORD."

I felt alive today. I WANT to please the Lord. I WANT to live a life of LOVE. I was reminded of Christ's AMAZING love for me. He died for me so that I could LIVE for Him. Pretty awesome.

Today I got the best of both worlds. I spent the first two hours alone; walking and reading. And then the last half of my time was spent walking with my friend Catherine.

Walking, a little bit of running, and a lot of talking. She needs the lake and the outdoors just like I do. Sweet friendship. It's just so good to share something so simple with someone that has that deep level of appreciation for the simplicity of lakeside walking.

I came home after hours of outdoor AND me time and felt ALIVE. And FREE. And back to myself. And RESTED. And RELAXED. And THANKFUL.

Saturday was just one of those LITTLE THINGS IN LIFE.

Oh, and for the record,

I still don't follow rules.

Comments

lizwiththree said…
you are a super star in your car looking sooo darn CUTE!!! it's a wonderful lake we have here isn't it...i've got to do what you did...just go!!!
Mae said…
Thanks for the verses in Ephesians. The Lord keeps working on me about "living a life of love" and not be so taken up with a list of do's and don'ts. It's all about a relationship with our Lord. Keep on blogging.

Popular Posts