2008 in Review

I saw this "review" concept on someone’s blog last year and thought I'd revise it a bit to include pictures.

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the year. [And I could have included tonnes more]

Happy Maddie.

My friend Alice.
Puzzle time with Mom.

Jackson snuggled with my dad.

My brother, Lenny, was in town on business for a few days.


Maddie makes me smile.

And so does Jackson!

Denise, myself, Michelle at Ravinia. Favorite Chicago summer thing to do.

This is Maddie's friend, Mackenzie, and they are TWO-PEAS-IN-A-POD. I love this picture - I have it on my dryer. Makes me happy doing laundry.

Jackson and goggles. HILARIOUS.
ON TO THE QUESTIONS

  1. Where did you begin 2008?As is our tradition since being married, we were at Jeff and Cleary’s home, hanging out, catching up, playing games, watching way too many football games, and just being together to bring in the New Year.

  2. Name a difficult challenge this year. Fighting the itchies (AKA 'lice'). Oh my. This deserves an entire post and since we're about at our one-year-anniversary of being 'itchie free', I'll do a post on it next week. One word for ya: NIGHTMARE.
  3. Were you in school (anytime this year)?Just say no to school. I am SO glad I’m done with those chapters – a masters is good enough for me. I’ll leave the doctorate work to Denise.

  4. How did you earn your money? It’s called a husband.

  5. Did you have to go to the hospital? No and I’m thankful for that.

  6. Did you have any encounters with the police? Not this year.

  7. Where did you go on vacation? We went to Canada for a week in August and then we do our usual long weekends up at the lake throughout the summer. And we just got back from several days up in Canada for Christmas.

  8. What did you purchase that was over $1000? Maddie’s first grade education.

  9. Did you know anybody who got married? Nathan B. but I missed that wedding. Totally bummed about that.
  10. Did you move anywhere? Nope.

  11. What concerts/shows did you go to? What are those? Oh, I take that back. James Taylor at Ravinia in June. Loved it!

  12. Are you registered to vote? Of course.

  13. Who did you want to win Big Brother? I have no idea what you’re talking about.

  14. Where do you live now? Chicago

  15. Describe your birthday? I got to go to Chuck-E-Cheese with my kids and nephews on my actual birthday. That had to be a first! =) I don't have just a birth-DAY. I do a birth-WEEK. Lots of fun - time with friends, family ... Outback ... the Lake ... wonderful.

  16. What's one major change in your life this year? I stepped down from coordinating or local MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group and while I miss the ladies I am thrilled to be done with that responsibility.

  17. What has been your favorite moment? If you know me at all, you know I can never pick a ‘favorite’ in whatever. Someone asks what my favorite song is and I’ll give them a list of 7. Someone asks my favorite vacation spot and I’ll give them a list of 100. Not good at favorites. So, to answer this question, I had lots of great moments in 2008. I loved seeing Maddie graduate from kindergarten. I loved seeing both kids on the zip-sled behind the boats. I loved seeing Jackson water ski with Jack. I loved watching Maryam run into Mazen’s arms at the airport. I loved pulling into Peninsula State Park in October, knowing we had arrived for a weekend of outdoors with good friends. I loved Cookie Weekend as always. Being up at Rock Lake with my family. I was very touched by the surprise scrapbook my MOPS friends gave me as a gift. Beautiful. My trip to Iowa to see Sarah, the boys and Mama and Papa Z.

  18. What's something you learned about yourself? I think I learned this year that I really do love to write. I find it helps me to slow down and process my life as opposed to letting it fly by. I really didn’t have any idea that I would enjoy it so much.

  19. Any new additions to your family? Our refugee family – Hiyam and Maryam and Mazen, too.

  20. What was your best month? I’d say November, because we got to meet Hiyam and Maryam and Mazen. And it’s Thanksgiving month which leads right into Christmas, which means time with my family up in Canada.

  21. What music will you remember 2007 by? Our happy cd – Jack Johnson – the yellow album with the tree on the front (no idea the actual name). Many happy memories of singing along with Jackson and Maddie in the car.

  22. Who has been your best drinking buddy? Well, that’s a toss up between my mother and Denise – they both appreciate McDonald’s Diet Coke as much as I do so I’d call them my best drinkin’ buds … They both know that ‘first sip’ feeling of your first Diet Coke of the day!

  23. Made new friends? Yes – Hiyam, and Sara and Becky O., and Julia, my local McDonald's drive-thru cashier. I know her by name. Sad. Very sad.

  24. Favorite Night out? Any night out is a favorite night out.

Comments

becko said…
Ooh, I love this idea! I'm going to have to steal it as well--As soon as I can find time to actually be on here for more than 10 minutes. I still have to finish writing about Christmas!
Happy New Year!
Mae said…
Yes, that first sip of diet coke of the day is certainly the best.

loved this blog. Thanks.

Popular Posts