New Beginnings

A big part of who I am thrives on beginnings. I'm the one that loves the start of school - the start of each season - the start of the new year. What I love about all those "new beginnings" is the potential to organize, de-clutter, start new projects, begin new routines and set new goals.

I'm not particularly big on 'New Year's Resolutions' because quite frankly, I've never been good enough to keep all the ones that I made. I usually have grandiose ideas about what each hour, day, week and month will entail, and by, oh, let's say January 15th, those routines are usually out the window. Completely.

But as I was sitting here tonight I did think of several things I want to accomplish this year. Ways I want to grow or change. So here are a few of the ideas that have been jostling around in this "definitely-need-to-dye-my-hair" head of mine.
  • My Great-Aunt Lessie (my grandma's sister) is getting older and frailer (is that a word I ask?) and I'd like to do a better job at CALLING her. It would mean so much to her to simply pick up the phone and call yet I do a lousy, lousy job at that. I'm determined to call her more.

  • I want to organize a few VOLUNTEER times at "Feed My Starving Children," to introduce more of our friends to such an amazing opportunity to practically show the love of Jesus.

  • I want to CHOOSE to have more patience with Maddie.

  • I'm going to continue being INTENTIONAL about alone time with Maddie. I've made some great strides in this over the last month so I'd like to keep that on my radar.

  • I am learning that a large part of who I am is CREATIVE, so I want to get back to consistently scrapbooking and/or crafting. Like once a week. I find in the busy-ness of life, the first things to go are the things that breathe life into me ... like creativity, and exercise ... Speaking of...

  • I'm going to get back to the GYM - four times per week (I did this very consistently all last winter, spring and most of the summer so it can be done) and am going to choose to not do play dates and errands, etc., until after this is done (Mon., Wed., Thurs., Fri.). I love going to the gym but when life gets busy I tend to not consider that as an 'appointment' - so it is going into my day timer as a daily appointment to keep. I wouldn't cancel on time with a friend. And the gym is now my friend. I need the gym. I want the gym. Gym gets my time from 9 - 10:30am ... and then after that I can play. Gym is my new boyfriend.

  • As always, my goal is to get in the BIBLE each day, usually during nap-time. This will be a bit trickier now that Jackson is getting closer to the age where naps will be non-existent, but I will need to figure out a way to make this happen. It's a crucial part of my day. Perhaps getting up earlier? Oh mercy, who are we kidding.

  • 40x40 ... So, this is something that I have been thinking about for a LONG time. And I'm going public with it tonight. It's hard-core goal. It's a tough one but I WILL ACHIEVE IT. I turn 40 in June .... and I will have lost 40 pounds by then. Hence, 40x40. I can do it and I will do it. Watch me. Or, better yet, join me if you have some weight to lose. I'm thinking about doing a weekly little post on the journey to 40x40 ... we'll see ... I'm not into adding pressure to my blogging, but I thought it might be a way to chart the progress over the next 5.5 months.

  • This one is one I'm very excited about. I'm going to do a ROOM MAKEOVER all by myself (or maybe mostly by myself). The mystery room is no mystery. It will be our guest bedroom/my craft room/my office ... watch for before and after pictures. It's my big project for the winter. The room has so much potential with all of its old house charm a la nooks and crannies ... yet it sits a terrible, dingy off-white, with old wood paneling in the closet. I can hardly wait. I have a million ideas but I think I'll need to run them by Jack because they involve a saw and cutting out walls - or not. [Just wanted to see Jack's blood pressure sky-rocket.]

  • I challenged myself to do MORE READING last year and I succeeded at that and it brought me much joy and relaxation and personal growth. My goal is again, to read 12 books this year - one per month ... or, as in some cases, 4 per month and then 3 months of nothingness. No structure other than 12 for the year.

  • A few years back I got rather crafty and painted a children's table and chairs and they looked darling and I absolutely loved the process. Very fun. Very relaxing. Again, creative. So, I'm going to be on the lookout for FREE FURNITURE TO PAINT. I'm going to try to do 2 things this year. Aim low so that you can achieve, right?

Wow, my list has become a large one, but I'm not so much concerned with the letter of the law, but the intent of the law. A lot of these could fall under the category of being creative. Several others fit under the category of taking care of me. And then a few 'this-n-that'. I'm not stressed about it and I'm not into making a 'to do' list - simply something to strive for over the coming year. Check back in December of '09 to see how I did on growing in these areas. Better yet, join me on the journey.

I recently stumbled upon this quote. I like it!

We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort. ~Jesse Owens~

And I'm going to leave you with this very fun, completely random picture of Jack's dad that I happened upon tonight. (I'm on his computer)


I'm SO digging the sideburns.

Comments

Alice said…
You go, girl! I look forward to reading all the progress reports and seeing pictures of all your creative work!

Popular Posts