Door County Part 2

I cheated. I did. Look what I brought? This is not right. I know it. I admit it. I was mocked all weekend long for it. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more of these "pop" up next year in Nicolet Bay South Loop. There was toaster envy all weekend long - I just KNOW it.

This little invention; yes, this one,
made my camping life SO much easier. And, not only did I bring this, I also brought a crock pot, an electric skillet AND an electric tea kettle. (I think I just heard all of Northern Ontario collectively GASP.)

My fellow Canadians are shaking their heads, wondering what went wrong. When exactly it was that I turned from my Canadian survival ways?

I mean, I AM a camper. A hearty camper at that. Drop me off in the wilderness and I know I could survive. In my day I led a group of 10-15 junior high girls on a two-night, three-day overnight camping trip, including a portage of canoes. AND, the camp director at the time, thought it would be funny to "forget" one of my boxes of supplies just to see how I would fare ... So, ya, I can rough it with the best of them. Tents, schments. I grew up making lean-to's out of wood and tarps and rope. I've got my master woodsmanship badge from Camp Aush-Bik-Koong. DON'T MESS.

HOW-E-VER- ... I must say that I think I've been converted. There's no ACTUAL rule that says you can't bring this.
This trip was just TOO easy. I didn't cook one meal over the fire but fed my family for the entire weekend. I made chili in a crock pot! I made ham and potatoes and onion without one little smidge of aluminum foil! I had TOASTED bagels that didn't smell and taste like fire and ashes! What Canadian does that?

I don't know, call me crazy; I'm officially hooked and officially lazy. (ohhh, read that sentence again - it sounds a bit like Dr. Seuss!) BUT, I'M A HAPPY CAMPER. Doesn't that count for something?


Hello Toaster - my new camping friend for LIFE!

Comments

Alice said…
That is hilarious. I stand in awe of your mad camping skillz. I mean, wouldn't any sane person bring a toaster and a crockpot? As you know, my one camping experience (in my parents' backyard) lasted three hours. So, maybe I'm not the best source for outdoor tips.
Alysa said…
We'll leave the camping to me and the intellectual stuff to you. How's that for a good use of both of our strengths! =)
Mae said…
I'm all for the toaster. Remember when I took my electric blanket when we went camping. If there wasn't electricity I just plugged it into a current bush.

Popular Posts