Aluminum Foil and Saran Wrap

I can call myself a woman now. Really. I'm 38 years old, have lived out from under the roof of my mother since I was 18, and she failed to tell me this revolutionary information that could have changed my kitchen savvyness forever. Honestly, Mom (you too, Aunt Shirley), if you knew this information and didn't share it with me, I might have to withhold future birthday presents. But, my guess is, this little blog post that stems from a forwarded email is gonna change your life radically. Read on.

So it's the little things that don't work, that are supposed to work, that drive me IN-sane. And, I have to say that I come by this little quirk naturally. It's a "Correll" gene. From what I've been told, Grandpa Correll would pick up a tool, try to use it, and if it didn't work properly, he'd throw it across the room, break it and go buy a new one. He was a salesman and had all the patience in the world with most people, yet things that didn't work would put him over the edge. I'd put my dad, my brother, and myself directly into this category; without passing go and definitely without collecting $200. Thankfully, we can all blame the generation before us for this nasty trait. I am trying to work on this (and I know Lenny is, too) and I've come a long way but can't say I've completely licked it yet! I haven't broken anything on purpose in a very long time so I am definitely improving!

An example of this type of irritation is when I'm trying to pull saran wrap or aluminum foil out to cover up the leftovers and the roll falls right out onto the floor (usually because I'm trying to do it too quickly) and then I have to stop and waste time rolling it all back up and trying to stuff it all back into the little box, sometimes cutting myself on the ridiculous perforated edge. Oh, and then because the box is now puffier than original, it won't fit into my tight little spot for it in the kitchen drawer, which causes the baggies to spill out and onto the floor. I have a system people and it irritates me when the system breaks down due to things not working properly. (I have issues. I know.)

Here's the tie-in. I just opened up a 'forwarded' email from my friend in Florida. Honestly, I usually trash "forwarded" emails as soon as I see they are forwarded, never even opening them, but for whatever reason (perhaps Divine intervention) I opened up the forwarded email today. And, this is what it said: "I've been using aluminum foil for more years than I care to remember. Great stuff, but sometimes it can be a pain. You know, like when you are in the middle of doing something and you try to pull some foil out and the roll comes out of the box. Then you have to put the roll back in the box and start over. The darn roll always comes out at the wrong time. Well, I would like to share this with you. Yesterday I went to throw out an empty Reynolds foil box and for some reason I turned it and looked at the end of the box. And written on the end it said, Press here to lock end. Right there on the end of the box is a tab to lock the roll in place. How long has this little locking tab been there? I then looked at a generic brand of aluminum foil and it had one, too. I then looked at a box of Saran wrap and it had one too! I can't count the number of times the Saran wrap roll has jumped out when I was trying to cover something up."

I raced to the kitchen and you are not going to believe it - but my Chicago-purchased aluminum foil and saran wrap have those same little tabs, too. Amazing. Fantastic. They're now locked firmly in place and I even tested them by trying to dump them out and the little tabs work. Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all my spare time, now that this annoyance was so quickly and easily removed from my life thanks to the 'tab' on the end of the box. Maybe I'll work on solving the irritation of emptying the flour into the flour canister without the last little bit "plopping" down quickly and sending large quantities of white stuff flying out of control onto the counter and onto the black shirt that I am inevitably wearing when I attempt this task. Is there a tab to solve THAT problem?

Comments

Mae said…
Honestly, daughter dear, I had no idea that the boxes had little tabs. I just went to see if my Saran Wrap box had it on it and it did. I punched the tabs. My aluminum box didn't, but I'll check other ones in the grocery stores. I expect my birthday present this coming Sunday. Mom
Alice said…
Oh.my.stars. Who knew?? I cannot wait to get home from work today (for many reasons of course. Not the least of which will be to check out my tabs!) I'm nominating you for some sort of public service award.
Jill said…
You are so funny! I never knew there were tabs either. How exciting for all of us!!!!
Lenny said…
Never knew they were there either, but that is probably because I never use siren wrap or aluminum foil...must be a guy thing!
lizwiththree said…
okay i'm going to look for those tabs too because my little one continually takes the alum foil and the saran wrap out and it goes rolling. you'd think i'd move the place i kept these items-but no. silly us. alysa you should start your own talk show with this topic first.
Connie said…
This is news to me too...crazy. About the flour...I am chronically messy with sugar and flour. I do all my "canister work" in the sink. That way if it spills..my counter is saved.
Jack said…
What's Saran Wrap?

Popular Posts